Many individuals are still using chlorine and salt to sanitize their swimming pools. Both have their pros and cons, but the latest innovation in water purification for your swimming pool and spa is UV-C or Ultraviolet Chlorination since it can eliminate microorganisms that chlorine and salt simply can’t.
In North America, the standard protocol for water quality maintenance (WQM) is premised on the assumption that appropriate filtration and residual halogen disinfection will inactivate all pathogens.
Benefits of Ultraviolet Chlorination (DELTA UV® E and ES SERIES):
For Cleaner, Healthier Pool Environment
- Drastically reduces the costs associated with chemical use
- Destroy the micro-organisms that chlorine and salt systems can’t (Cryptosporidium, Giardia, etc.)
- No nasty chlorine smell
- No more red eyes, dry skin or damaged hair
- Easier pool maintenance, simple, reliable
- Minimal ongoing expenditure (lamp replacement expected every 3 years for seasonal pools)
- Prolongs pools life – won’t erode pools surface or equipment
- Compatible with all types of coatings and filters
- A treatment that can be automated with an existing chlorinator
- Easy and Quick installation and maintenance
Interested in having UV-C installed in your current swimming pool, or having a new pool built in with UV chlorination?
Call Infinity Pools of Georia, LLC.
REFERENCE DATA ON UV-C
Things to know:
- “Giardia can take up to 45 minutes to become deactivated in chlorine”
- “Norovirus takes about 30-60 minutes to deactivate”
- “Crypto is highly resistant to chlorine and can linger in a pool for up to one 10 days”
(refer to Inactivation time for human disease – causing microbes in chlorinated water. www.cdc.gov/healthyswimming )
Unfortunately Recreational Water Illness (RWI) is dramatically increasing. Research has also shown that halogen disinfection creates hazardous by-products (DBP’s). These DBP’s include chloramines, THM, HAA, and other contaminates that are recognized to have serious negative health effects. It is also established that certain pathogens are resistant to chlorine and ozone, thus leading to various diseases including respiratory, skin and gastrointestinal problems. Awareness and concern about exposure to DBP’s in pool and spas is increasing at an alarming rate. Health officials have acknowledged that the increase of RWI and negative health effects associated to DBP’s necessitates a paradigm shift in our thinking about how we treat pool and spa water.
How Does UV-C Work?
The sun emits invisible light . This natural phenomenon is reproduced inside the chamber of the Delta UV ranges UV systems using powerful lamps, result of leading edge technology, that emit UV-C rays. At 254 nanometers, the optimum wavelength for destroying micro-organisms (viruses, bacteria, algae, yeasts, mould…), the UV-C penetrate to the heart of DNA (altering the DNA of the microorganisms in a process called thymine dimerization) and disturb the metabolism of cells until they are totally destroyed.
UV is effective at inactivating bacteria, viruses and protozoa such as Cryptosporidium and Giardia. All germs are thus deactivated (including Legionella, Cryptosporidium and Giardia) and cannot reproduce.
The UV chamber in Delta UV ranges are dimensioned according to the pump flow rate, as it is the combination of the contact time in the UV system and the power of the lamp(s) that will ensure that the necessary dose (expressed in milijoules per square centimeter or mJ/cm2) sufficient to eradicate 99.9% of the micro-organisms (bacteria, viruses, algae in suspension…) is received.