Fun Facts About Swimming Pools and Swimming!
- There’s an estimated 10.4 million residential pools in the United States, and over 300,000 commercial swimming pools according to the Association of Pool and Spa Professionals (APSP).
- Niagara Falls has enough water to fill up all the swimming pools in the United States in less than three days!
- An estimated 65 thousand people in the United States alone do not know how to swim. Many of them learned as young children but never go to a pool, lake, river, or ocean anymore and have forgotten how to swim over the years. Others were never taught and continue to avoid the activity altogether. It was once thought that knowing how to swim was important for safety reasons, but now it is pretty much left up to the individual.
- Swimming dates back to 2500 B.C. in ancient Egypt.
- An hour of vigorous swimming will burn up to 650 calories. It burns off more calories than walking or biking.
- California is the state with the most pools, coming in at over 3 million!
- 1 in 5 adults pee in pools.
- The average person swims in a pool 6 times a year.
- Combined, Americans spend about $1,000,000 per hour on their swimming pools.
- The most popular game to play in a swimming pool is: Marco Polo.
- The most popular way to dive into a pool is: The Cannonball.
- 38% of pool owners have a diving board.
- The Titanic was the first ocean-liner to have a swimming pool.
- There are types of germs that can live for days in pools that are not properly maintained, called Cryptosporidium.
More to come soon!
Infinity Pools of Georgia, LLC.
Pool Service – Maintenance – Design – Construction – Renovation – Repair – Decks, Fire Bowls, and Outdoor Kitchens